I also received another update on Cesar. All good news! Cesar has endeared himself to his mom and dad and when his mom's daughter came for a visit over Christmas she fell in love with Cesar too. Apparently, Cesar is still missing her and wishes she would come back!Two great updates in one day - awesome!
I had a few moments to reflect this weekend and I am so proud that ANML-RESQ was able to assist so many animals this weekend. It's a great feeling when you can help a dog, cat, or guinea pig on death-row. It did, however, remind me of a particular dog in a shelter that for some strange reason cannot seem to find her forever home.
Maxine, German Shepherd and almost 10 years old has now spent 3 Christmas's at the Shelter rather than in a loving forever home.
Her only fault is that she does not like other dogs. Maxine's temperament is "rock solid" with people. She adores humans, she is the favourite of all the Shelter volunteers and has endeared herself to many, myself included.
Surely there MUST be a home out there for her. Check out her picture and bio on Petfinder.com. She would be ideal for a couple looking for a mature dog that would be a constant companion and loyal friend.
Maxine, German Shepherd and almost 10 years old has now spent 3 Christmas's at the Shelter rather than in a loving forever home.
Her only fault is that she does not like other dogs. Maxine's temperament is "rock solid" with people. She adores humans, she is the favourite of all the Shelter volunteers and has endeared herself to many, myself included.
Surely there MUST be a home out there for her. Check out her picture and bio on Petfinder.com. She would be ideal for a couple looking for a mature dog that would be a constant companion and loyal friend.
If you know of someone that could make this girl's wish come true, please ask them to get in touch with Grey Bruce Animal Shelter at 519-372-1911 and let them know you are asking about Maxine. We would love for 2008 to be Maxine's year!
Weekend Transports
Busy, busy, busy ... this has been an incredibly busy week and the weekend has proven to be just as busy.
Transports started on Thursday when we received a young Shepherd puppy that was spared being surrendered to a shelter and quickly found him a spot in rescue. Good luck Scotty! You are closer to finding your forever home!
Friday, we helped transport two wonderful dogs to the Owen Sound Animal Shelter. I fell in love with Leo (the LeonbergerX). He is a very handsome and very gentle boy. He rode very nicely in the back seat and was a perfect gentleman all the way to Owen Sound. Also on that transport was a nice boy named Kelti, a young cattle dog mix. It was a pleasure helping these two fellows to safety.
We were also burning up the highway transporting Tank, our Rotti boy to his forever home. Thank you to ALL that helped get this gentle boy home. He has endeared himself to everyone that has met him. Kisses for ALL! Stay tuned for updates on Tank.
The transports were hectic as they changed constantly ... right up until pick-up times! We even helped get kittens and cats and guinea pigs to safety as a local shelter is possibly going on strike and unless help was found for these animals, we were afraid for their safety.
Good job everyone! Hopefully, you can rest and enjoy your Sunday now that everyone is where they should be!
Boo
This week has been a culmination of good news and bad news. Thankfully it is mostly good news. But, yesterday I received really bad news.
I received the heartbreaking news that the owner of Boo sold his beloved friend. Strangely enough, we had made arrangements the night before to pick him up and take him "out on the town". All arrangements were made and when we arrived to pick Boo up the owner informed us that he would rather get money for him, so he sold him last night to someone that made an offer he couldn't refuse. I asked him if he even knew this person, but his answer made me feel sick. He only met the guy that night and he offered him good money for the dog so he sold him.
Needless to say I lost it, but I could not help myself. I was furious and told him "...I hope you have a good time spending the blood-money you got for your beloved friend. I hope you realize that this dog is now destined for a life of uncertainty and hardship. You would rather take money from a stranger than ensure the proper steps are taken to find a RESPONSIBLE and caring owner."
My heart tells me that Boo will now be used for either a guard dog, tied to a chain OR used as a stud, destined to live life behind bars. I pray this is not the case, but we have seen this happen TOO many times. Boo, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish it could have turned out different for you. If we ever cross paths again and I PRAY we do, I will make it all up to you ... this is my PROMISE to you Boo. I have met you, I will never forget you and if I have anything to do with it ... I will FIND YOU and make it right!
Busy, busy, busy ... this has been an incredibly busy week and the weekend has proven to be just as busy.
Transports started on Thursday when we received a young Shepherd puppy that was spared being surrendered to a shelter and quickly found him a spot in rescue. Good luck Scotty! You are closer to finding your forever home!
Friday, we helped transport two wonderful dogs to the Owen Sound Animal Shelter. I fell in love with Leo (the LeonbergerX). He is a very handsome and very gentle boy. He rode very nicely in the back seat and was a perfect gentleman all the way to Owen Sound. Also on that transport was a nice boy named Kelti, a young cattle dog mix. It was a pleasure helping these two fellows to safety.
We were also burning up the highway transporting Tank, our Rotti boy to his forever home. Thank you to ALL that helped get this gentle boy home. He has endeared himself to everyone that has met him. Kisses for ALL! Stay tuned for updates on Tank.
The transports were hectic as they changed constantly ... right up until pick-up times! We even helped get kittens and cats and guinea pigs to safety as a local shelter is possibly going on strike and unless help was found for these animals, we were afraid for their safety.
Good job everyone! Hopefully, you can rest and enjoy your Sunday now that everyone is where they should be!
Boo
This week has been a culmination of good news and bad news. Thankfully it is mostly good news. But, yesterday I received really bad news.
I received the heartbreaking news that the owner of Boo sold his beloved friend. Strangely enough, we had made arrangements the night before to pick him up and take him "out on the town". All arrangements were made and when we arrived to pick Boo up the owner informed us that he would rather get money for him, so he sold him last night to someone that made an offer he couldn't refuse. I asked him if he even knew this person, but his answer made me feel sick. He only met the guy that night and he offered him good money for the dog so he sold him.
Needless to say I lost it, but I could not help myself. I was furious and told him "...I hope you have a good time spending the blood-money you got for your beloved friend. I hope you realize that this dog is now destined for a life of uncertainty and hardship. You would rather take money from a stranger than ensure the proper steps are taken to find a RESPONSIBLE and caring owner."
My heart tells me that Boo will now be used for either a guard dog, tied to a chain OR used as a stud, destined to live life behind bars. I pray this is not the case, but we have seen this happen TOO many times. Boo, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish it could have turned out different for you. If we ever cross paths again and I PRAY we do, I will make it all up to you ... this is my PROMISE to you Boo. I have met you, I will never forget you and if I have anything to do with it ... I will FIND YOU and make it right!
Today, was a very busy and productive day with much less stress than earlier this week.
I received two pleas first thing in the morning. A shepherd pup was about to be surrendered to a shelter. One of our volunteers intervened and brought the puppy home with her. Of course, she is not in a position to keep him, but wanted to spare him the stress of going to the shelter. She then called us to help find him a good home or rescue. I contacted the same rescue associates who had helped us a couple of weeks ago with another urgent Shep pup that was stressing big time at the shelter. They had room for him and transport was arranged for Buddy to be transported to their foster home today (not an easy task to arrange transport on a weekday). Good luck Buddy ... we know you will be well cared for!
The other plea was in the form of an email about a young Shep/Lab pup. She lost her mother at birth and was adopted to a young owner at 6 weeks of age. The little puppy became too much work for her and she needed her out immediately. We have little Meikah posted as urgent and needing foster care or a forever home, so if you are interested in this very cute puppy, please contact us. We would love to find her the perfect forever home.
Our boy Tank is at the vets now awaiting his neuter and will be traveling this weekend to his new forever home. We also have a beautiful Aussie puppy, Dakota, on our website as a courtesy post. If you know of anyone interested in this very pretty girl, please contact her people directly by email which is listed at the bottom of her bio.
This weekend will be very busy for ANML-RESQ volunteers as we are literally all over the map from Belleville to London to Owen Sound transporting dogs to safety.
All in all, a very good day!!
Tank
It took until noon the next day before we could finally breath a "sigh" with relief.
Tank is safe and will be on his way to the vet's office today for his vaccinations, neuter and they will board him for us until we can arrange to have Tank (the young Rotti boy) transported to his foster/forever home.
I can't tell you how stressful it is when you are fighting for the life of a dog. Sometimes, I wonder why we put ourselves through all the stress of worry and sleepless nights. We often put in 12-16 hour days, networking, cross-posting, phoning and mostly holding our breaths and praying.
Rescue is not for everyone. It is hard work, while the reward at the end of the day is tenfold when you've been successful, it can just as easily knock you on your butt and throw you into the deepest depression if it doesn't work out.
There is nothing worse than becoming "emotionally" involved with a dog ... whether by their story or worse ... by seeing their pictures (if you see them in person - you are doomed!!). You get a mental image in your mind of this dog with his forever people and you take up the challenge of working as hard as you can for the animal. NOTHING will stop you ... it is like you are driven! I was so worried yesterday that Tank's story would be one of failure. After all that work ... please, don't let us lose him now!
It was 'happy dance' all the way around when we heard this young fellow was safe, but we will all rest easier when he is finally in his forever home this weekend.
Thank you to all who assisted in turning this tragedy around. Happy tails are sure to follow, so stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment